After my rather wordy No-knead sourdough loaf earlier this week (do check it out if you haven’t already done so, there might be a lot of waffle but it is probably the easiest recipe for sourdough you will find) I thought I would keep this one short and sweet. As the name suggests, one-pot chicken pesto rice is cooked in just one pan. Extra bonus? In addition to being a simple main meal recipe for two, it reduces the washing up!
I’ve used brown rice for this recipe, mainly because I feel I should cook with brown rice more often. I have to admit it seems to be more filling than white rice, which is a good thing if you are watching your weight like I have to do all the time. Unlike the very lucky Mr.B and the ‘little’ B’s who seems to be able to eat whatever they like without putting on any weight and who at 6ft plus are far from little anymore. They do like filling foods though! You could make it with white rice but you would have to play around with cooking times (it will cook much quicker than brown so would need to be added later) and the amount of stock, so I suggest you stick with brown rice too.
I have added cauliflower and broccoli as well as peas (I always have peas in the freezer), but you could also use green beans or a handful of spinach instead of the broccoli or cauliflower. Equally, sliced courgettes would be nice. Basically, just see what you have in your fridge, it’s a great recipe for using up some of the odds and sods that get left in the vegetable drawer.
For a spicier variation you could replace the pesto with curry paste.
Step by step one-pot chicken pesto rice
- 1 tsp rapeseed oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 chicken drumsticks
- 2 chicken thighs
- 175g brown rice
- 600ml chicken stock
- 75g broccoli florets
- 125g cauliflower florets
- 3–4 tbsp pesto
- 100g frozen peas
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and gently sauté the onion until softened. Increase the heat slightly and add the chicken. Cook for a few minutes to colour the skin turning them once or twice.
- Add the rice, then pour in the stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the pesto and add the broccoli and cauliflower. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the peas, cover, and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes until the rice is tender and the stock has been absorbed.
- Season to taste and serve.