Herb crusted roast cod is another super easy supper dish. Isn’t that what we all need the most? Ideas for after work dishes that taste amazing and require little work. At least that’s where I often lack inspiration – in that way I’m no different from you. It’s very easy to slip into cooking the same old, same old. Luckily for me, every so often work, or just thinking what recipes you might want to see on the blog the most, means that I have to give this some thought and, once I get into that zone, I have lots of ideas.
You can tell how easy this is by the fact I only have 3 step pics, it really is as simple as combining all the crust ingredients together in a bowl, putting it on top of the fish, and popping it in the oven. In winter I serve it with oven baked potato chips and a green vegetable, and when the weather is warmer, I serve with new potatoes and a salad.
If you have a little chorizo in the fridge you can blitz this with breadcrumbs in a food processor or chop very finely by hand to add extra flavour, or to replace the sun-dried tomatoes.
I’ve used parsley, but if you have some other fresh herbs to hand you could add some of those as well. A mixture would be nice.
I have written up the recipe to serve two but it is easily increased to serve more. Covered, the breadcrumb mixture will keep in the refrigerator for day or two.
- 2 chunky cod fillets about 150g (5oz) each, skinned
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 sun dried tomatoes in oil
- 50g (2oz) cheddar cheese, finely grated
- 50g (2oz) fresh white breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato oil from the jar of sun dried tomatoes
- Preheat the oven to 200℃/180℃ fan/gas mark 6. Lightly oil a baking sheet or line with baking parchment. Place the cod fillets on the baking sheet and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Remove the tomatoes from the oil and chop.
- Mix the cheese, breadcrumbs, parsley, sun dried tomatoes and oil together in a small bowl.
- Top the cod with the crumb mixture pressing down gently to pile the crumb crust on top.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until the cod is just flaking and the topping is golden.
Not suitable for freezing
Step by step herb crusted roast cod